10 day total immersion: September 04, 2018 – September 13, 2018
Our way of traveling allows wine lovers to fully experience authentic Bordeaux. "Bordeaux" embodies not only "wine": There is tons of history, there are beautiful quaint villages, there are the fairy-tale Châteaux dotting the D2 to the left and the right, and of course there is exquisite food. Therefore our tour has a strong culinary component, with exquisite wine pairing lunches and dinners at the Châteaux playing a daily part of our journey through the Bordeaux wine region. We do not stay in Bordeaux city during our journey to waste time commuting to the wine regions, instead we move around and stay right there where the vines grow and where the wine is made, in the Médoc -Left Bank- and in Saint-Émilion -Right Bank-. Our personal ties to many of the Château owners/ managers/ winemakers, and the small size of our group (max 12 people) allows us to visit many of the hidden gems that other tours pass by, but which are essential to feel what Bordeaux is all about. In a nutshell: this is an on ground wine class on Bordeaux!
- We will visit a total of 19 Châteaux (15 are classified) in Saint-Emilion, Pomerol, Entre-Deux-Mers, Sauternes, Graves, Pessac-Léognan, Médoc, Saint-Estèphe, Pauillac, Saint-Julien, Margaux.
- We will get intimate insights into the world of Bordeaux - the majority are Grand Cru Classé Bordeaux producers, but also excellent lesser known and unknown producers.
- We will visit a 1ière Grand Cru Classé Châteaux.
- We will explore the Bassin d’Arcachon off the Atlantic Ocean coast, visit an oyster farmer to learn what it entails to grow delicious oysters, and have an oyster tasting.
- We will visit a top-notch, family-run cooperage to witness the fascinating art of making a barrique barrel from A to Z, so important to the quality of the wine.
- We will visit a wine merchant to learn how the market for Bordeaux wines – La Place de Bordeaux- functions.
- We will experience French hospitality and culinary art at the highest level.
- We will have exquisite, Michelin-star equal gourmet wine pairing luncheons or dinners in an intimate setting at different Châteaux which we share with the proprietors / general managers and/or winemakers.
- We will experience the vibrant, cool city of Bordeaux.
The Bordeaux region is a very exciting area with its long, fascinating history, beautiful, lonely, powder sand Atlantic beaches, the graceful, cool, vibrant capital city of Bordeaux, medieval towns like the UNESCO-World Heritage listed Saint-Emilion, and its glorious vine-ribboned countryside where some of the world’s best wines come from. Bordeaux is the second largest winegrowing area in the world with close to 300,000 acres under vine. To understand “Bordeaux” means to appreciate its unique geographical location and the importance of water: the rain from above, the Gulf stream of the Atlantic Ocean, and the protective influence of the Gironde estuary with the two rivers Garonne and Dordogne that form the Gironde. This and more we would like to make you understand on this trip. Conditions in the Bordeaux region create wines that are unique, beautifully interwoven with a solid body and integrated elegance on the palate. Bordeaux wines are copied around the world, but never achieve perfection elsewhere. We are sure that you will second this statement after the tour.
There are so many great producers with wonderful people at the helm that it is very difficult to choose which one to visit. We selected top estates of different price points, from sky-high 100 Parker point wines to budget friendly, excellent, unknown wines exported to the US for the first time.